Fun Facts About Karting
Here are some things you may not have known about karting and go karts:
- Karting is the most popular motorsport in the world
- Michael Schumacher, the most successful racing driver of all time, once said “I learned everything I know about racing from my karting days.”
- Ayrton Senna described it as “The purest form of motorsport”
- Karts do not have suspension and their back axles are fixed with no differential
- Most karts have rear wheel brakes only, which is why spins are so common!
- The first kart was built by Art Ingels in 1956 and was made from scrap parts with a two stroke engine
- Both Jenson Button and Lewis Hamilton started races karts at age 8
- Because they have no differential karts are designed so that the inside rear wheel lifts off the road when cornering
And finally, a secret tip for anyone coming to visit our track:
The secret to speed in a kart is not how fast you enter a corner. It’s how fast you exit the corner!